In mid to late Autumn, honey bees prepare for ‘over Wintering’, a more restful phase in the rhythm of their annual cycle of hard work. To celebrate the cooler weather, Kathryn from As Sweet as Honey has put together a delicious Apple, Pecan and Honey cake recipe so you too can prepare for Winter. Not only is it full of gorgeous Autumn flavours but it can be made complete gluten free. Pick up some organic honey and give it a try this week!
Olive oil spray
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour mix & 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum or same amount of your favourite baking flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 4 tablespoons butter or coconut oil if Dairy Free, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened natural applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (or Gluten Free oats)
- 4 cups chopped apples (about 3 large)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar or brown sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly coat a 9 x 11-inch baking dish with olive oil spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream butter. On medium-high speed, beat in honey, applesauce and vanilla. Beat in eggs. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- On low speed, blend in dry ingredients until just combined.
- By hand, stir in oats, apples and chopped pecans. (if using)
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; sprinkle with topping.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean and top springs back when pressed with your finger.
- Allow to cool on a rack for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or room temperature, with yoghurt or cream.